[lfs-support] Problem in section 5.3 of lfs book

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Tue Nov 17 06:38:50 PST 2015

On 17/11/2015 15:18, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the first "Important" box in section 5.3, the last item is:
> /usr/bin/yacc is a symbolic link to bison or a small script that
> executes bison.
>
> In my host system I have the file /usr/bin/yacc but it is not a
> symbolic link to anything. I also have the file /usr/bin/bison but it
> also is not a link to anything. Please advise on how I can fix this.

Isn't the file /usr/bin/yacc a script? (you can use "file /usr/bin/yacc"
to know the nature of the file, and if it is a shell script, examine
what it contains).

> ------------------------------
>
> In the second "Important" box in section 5.3, item 3 says that I
> should use tar to extract the packages in /mnt/lfs/sources. Am I
> reading this right? There are 27 .tar.gz files, 11 .tar.bz2 files and
> 32 tar.xz packages. Extracting each one from the command line seems
> error prone. I am thinking about creating a script that would extract
> each package. Is this a good approach?

You extract one package at a time, say, when you are at a "gcc" page,
type "tar -xvf gcc-5.2.0.tar.bz2", then change to the extracted
directory. When the package is built, you change back to the /sources
directory, and remove the extracted directory (rm -rf gcc-5.2.0 gcc-build).

> Also, I had to stop work and shut down my host system.  When I
> restarted it I had a gdm that displayed my name and the name "lfs". If
> I selected "lfs" nothing happened,  I was back to the gdm prompt. The
> only way I can be user "lfs" is to log in as myself and "su - lfs".
> Does this seem OK?

Not sure about this one. Did you set up a password for user lfs?

Regards
Pierre