[lfs-support] Problem in section 5.3 of lfs book

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Nov 17 08:25:44 PST 2015

Em 17-11-2015 11:18, Joseph Hesse escreveu:

> Also, I had to stop work and shut down my host system.  When I restarted
> it I had a gdm that displayed my name and the name "lfs". If I selected
> "lfs" nothing happened,  I was back to the gdm prompt. The only way I
> can be user "lfs" is to log in as myself and "su - lfs". Does this seem OK?

Only users in the video group have permission for graphics.

In (B)LFS, the user needs to be also in the audio group for sound
permission and in the lpadim group for printer permission.

This is just an explanation, as Thanos wrote, lfs user is supposed to
work in a terminal. If you try to run a graphical program, the system
complains:

$ su - lfs
Password:
$ firefox
Error: no display specified
$ gedit
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(gedit:28568): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

--
[]s,
Fernando, aka Sísifo