[lfs-support] Problem in section 5.3 of lfs book

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:02:42 PST 2015

Thanos Baloukas wrote:
> On 17/11/2015 04:18 μμ, Joseph Hesse wrote:
>>
>> Also, I had to stop work and shut down my host system.  When I restarted
>> it I had a gdm that displayed my name and the name "lfs". If I selected
>> "lfs" nothing happened,  I was back to the gdm prompt. The only way I
>> can be user "lfs" is to log in as myself and "su - lfs". Does this seem OK?

> The lfs user was created for the LFS book's needs, and you only have to be
> lfs when installing packages by the book, that is on a terminal.
> I don't see a reason to start a graphical session with gdm as user lfs.

Others have answered the questions correctly, but I want to add that the
lfs user is *only* used in Chapter 5 to build and install the files in
/tools (which is a symbolic link to /mnt/lfs/tools).  After that,
everything in LFS is done as root.

Looking ahead, BLFS is different.  There a user should create a normal
account with an id of choice and build packages from there, only changing
to root when specifically instructed.

   -- Bruce