[lfs-support] Problem in section 5.3 of lfs book

Joseph Hesse joehesse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:42:15 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 01:17 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Joseph Hesse wrote:
>> On 11/17/2015 12:33 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you run version-check.sh?  What does it say about yacc?
>>
>> Here is the output from version-check.sh
>
>> bison (GNU Bison) 3.0.4
>> yacc is
>
> You do have bison.  That's good, but there is a problem with yacc.
> What is the full output of 'yacc --help' or 'yacc --version'?  If
> those don't give anything useful, then what do you get when you type
> 'yacc' alone on the command line?
>
> In any case what you will need to do (as root) is
>
> rm /usr/bin/yacc
> ln -s bison /usr/bin/yacc
>
> or
>
> rm /usr/bin/yacc
> cat > /usr/bin/yacc << EOF
> #! /bin/sh
> exec '/usr/bin/bison' -y "$@"
> EOF

On my host system yacc alone or yacc --help produces a vertical list of
options. yacc -V gives 1.9 20141128 (space is not an error)
I implemented your suggestion on removing yacc in /usr/bin and making
yacc a symbolic link to bison. Hopefully I won't have any more problems.
Thank you for your time. Joe