[lfs-support] Problem in section 5.3 of lfs book

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:12:50 PST 2015

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Joseph Hesse wrote:

>>> You do have bison.  That's good, but there is a problem with yacc. What
>>> is the full output of 'yacc --help' or 'yacc --version'?  If those don't
>>> give anything useful, then what do you get when you type 'yacc' alone on
>>> the command line?
>>>
>>> In any case what you will need to do (as root) is
>>>
>>> rm /usr/bin/yacc
>>> ln -s bison /usr/bin/yacc
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> rm /usr/bin/yacc
>>> cat > /usr/bin/yacc << EOF
>>> #! /bin/sh
>>> exec '/usr/bin/bison' -y "$@"
>>> EOF
>>
>> On my host system yacc alone or yacc --help produces a vertical list of
>> options. yacc -V gives 1.9 20141128 (space is not an error)
>> I implemented your suggestion on removing yacc in /usr/bin and making yacc
>> a symbolic link to bison. Hopefully I won't have any more problems.
>
> That version string indicates Berkeley yacc (byacc).  It might work but
> AFAIK has not been tested for LFS.

BTW, some of the readers of this thread might be asking "Just what IS
yacc?"  The wikipedia page for yacc gives a little description, but it has
a lot of jargon.

In my experience, yacc is taught as a part of a compiler design course in
a senior or graduate level Computer Science curriculum.   It's designed
use is to parse a specific language when building a compiler.  It has been
used in some other cases, but is quite technical in nature.  For LFS, it
is a tool used by other programs such as gcc.

Bison is the GNU clone of yacc.  The name bison is a play on words from
the animal yak which is found in the Himalayas and looks somewhat like the
bison animal found in North America.

   -- Bruce