[lfs-support] Is it possible to boot kernel without installing sysvinit?

Michele Bucca michele.bucca at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 00:55:52 PST 2017

Il 02 gen 2017 3:45 AM, "ssmtpmailtesting ssmtpmailtesting" <
ssmtpmailtesting at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> @Pierre,
>

> > And if I omit init=/bin/bash the system is freezed, can't do anything
> > from there. Is init=/bin/bash necessary?
> >>No. But init="something" is necessary [1]: that's what the kernel
> >>launches when it is done with initialization.
>
> But I see in other linux distribution's grub.cfg where init=/bin/bash is
not there.

init=/bin/bash is *insecure* because it lets you access to the system with
root previleges without asking for a password

> > And if I omit init=/bin/bash the system is freezed, can't do anything
> > from there. Is init=/bin/bash necessary?
> >>No. But init="something" is necessary [1]: that's what the kernel
> >>launches when it is done with initialization.
>
> Is /sbin/init created by sysvinit? Why does kernel try to launch
/sbin/init by default?

I think that it is created by it. the kernel launches /sbin/init by default
because it *is designed* to do so.