[lfs-support] [website] Package Source File Correction

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:47:25 PST 2017

Zach Wisman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the right forum to post this too. I tried joining the IRC
> channel but kept getting a banned message.
>
> Anyway, I though I would point out, if it is not already known, that the
> link for
> zlib-1.2.9.tar.gz http://www.zlib.net/zlib-1.2.8.tar.xz
> in the
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/7.10-systemd/wget-list
> should be updated to
> http://zlib.net/fossils/zlib-1.2.9.tar.gz
> as there is now a newer version of zlib. Given that the zlib archive file
> has been moved to /fossils/ and is in .gz rather than .xz the MD5 hash
> fails as well.
>
> I saw that this is addressed in the development version of the book under
> changelog #4032 <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/4032> and is
> also updated further along when listing individual source locations.
>
> Just wanted to mention this so that the current "stable LFS" book could be
> updated to reflect the correct link and MD5 hash.

The best list for this is lfs-support.  Copying there.

In Section 3.1 is the paragraph:

Download locations may not always be accessible. If a download location
has changed since this book was published, Google (http://www.google.com/)
provides a useful search engine for most packages. If this search is
unsuccessful, try one of the alternative means of downloading discussed at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/packages.html#packages.

After a book is published, it is not updated.  Critical issues are
addressed in errata.

   -- Bruce