[lfs-support] Is it possible to use gentoo stage3 as tools or temporary system?

ssmtpmailtesting ssmtpmailtesting ssmtpmailtesting at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:07:37 PST 2017

I extracted http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/20170131/stage3-i686-20170131.tar.bz2
in /mnt/lfs/tools , then the following commands

mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
mount -vt devpts devpts $LFS/dev/pts -o gid=5,mode=620
mount -vt proc proc $LFS/proc
mount -vt sysfs sysfs $LFS/sys
mount -vt tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/run

chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
    HOME=/root                  \
    TERM="$TERM"                \
    PS1='\u:\w\$ '              \
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
    /tools/bin/bash --login +h

I get error: chroot: failed to run command '/tools/bin/env': No such
file or directory

[@Chris,
It is possible, and exactly what I did after my first run though LFS.
Extract it to the root. Chroot to it. Install grub, bc. and compile the
kernel. Reboot. You already have wget etc etc. I built Xorg etc following
BLFS and worked flawlessly. Would be happy to answer any other questions.
]

[@decentral.ch
Of course it is possible. It might also be possible to use an existing
debian or redhat install as temporary toolchain.
]