[lfs-support] glibc-2.26 make install failed

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Thu Nov 2 13:42:23 PDT 2017

On 02/11/2017 21:08, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 20:26:57 +0100
> Pierre Labastie <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr> wrote:
>
>> The text tells it removes a check that fails in the partial LFS environment.
>
>    Pierre,
>
> And is that check run during the installation step where his error
> happened?
Yes (please read the book, it's there).

> For the record, glibc-2.26 and later no longer installs a libnss_nis
> by default:
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54592
>
> "The NIS(+) name service modules, libnss_nis, libnss_nisplus, and
>   libnss_compat, are deprecated, and will not be built or installed by
>   default. Replacement implementations based on TIRPC, which
>   additionally support IPv6, are available from
>   <https://github.com/thkukuk/libnss_{compat,nis,nisplus}>."
>

> and also note for those upgrading an existing glibc:
>

> "Since nsswitch.conf is a backup file for filesystem, wouldn't dropping
>   the obsolete-nsl flag require a manual intervention for everyone with
>   a modified nsswitch.conf? As I understand it now, breaking the 'compat'
>   module would force all such users to correct it *before* they update
>   to a new glibc, or they will become immediately unable to fix their
>   system without booting from alternative media or using an emergency
>   shell."
>

> It's not clear to me what exactly the new glibc does not like
> in "modified" nsswitch.conf.

All I can tell is that I upgraded to glibc-2.26 on an already built
system, and the test-installation.pl check passed. I think the
environment in early chapter 6 prevents the test-installation.pl script
to find that the obsolete nis modules are not installed, but on a
completed system, it works.

Pierre