[lfs-support] Booting LFS with systemd

Xi Ruoyao ryxi at stu.xidian.edu.cn
Fri Jul 6 00:44:19 PDT 2018

On 2018-07-06 08:23 +0200, Frans de Boer wrote:
> On 07/06/2018 05:32 AM, Michael Shell wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 21:48:16 +0200
> > Frans de Boer <frans at fransdb.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > I had even rebuild everything with systemd-232, and that worked as
> > > before. But after 232, things started to behave strange. Now way to
> > > debug systemd, whatever I do....
> >
> >     Frans,

I read some systemd-238 code (src/core/main.c:1820):

>         if (arg_system) {
>                 /* Make sure we leave a core dump without panicing the kernel. */
>                 install_crash_handler();
>
>                 if (!skip_setup) {
>                         r = mount_cgroup_controllers(arg_join_controllers);
>                         if (r < 0) {
>                                 *ret_error_message = "Failed to mount cgroup hierarchies";
>                                 return r;
>                         }
>
>                         status_welcome();

There is message from systemd crash handler (showing a SIGABRT and dumping
core), but there is no welcome message.  So the problem should be in
mount_cgroup_controllers.

There IS a way to debug systemd - adding log_info into systemd source code
to output key variables and debug messages.  I was one of the ACM/ICPC
contestants who are very familiar with this ``debugging technique".  This
technique often outperforms GDB in programming contests. :)
--
Xi Ruoyao <ryxi at stu.xidian.edu.cn>