[lfs-support] Booting LFS with systemd

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Fri Jul 13 06:35:24 PDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:28:12 +0200
Frans de Boer <frans at fransdb.nl> wrote:

> In an effort to understand why systemd crashes and having a message
> that there is a segfault in glibc while booting, i tried to
> recompile all again. Now I can't even compile glibc.

  Frans,

We kind of leaped over some steps/info here. What exactly did gdb reveal
about glibc when systemd crashed?

As to why you can't recompile glibc, I found this:

http://lfs-dev.linuxfromscratch.narkive.com/EqIzQ6w0/glibc-2-27

where Bruce said,
  "That was a fix for binutils. We moved the build order to have m4
   before binutils. That change should not be needed. So, we have
   to (now) build m4 before binutils"

And m4 is listed before binutils can be seen in the development tree:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/

In anycase, either by changing the m4/binutils build order, or
adding the symlink, you can compile glibc successfully, right?

Again, what exactly did gdb say about systemd's crash?

  Cheers,

  Mike