[lfs-support] Booting LFS with systemd

Tim Tassonis stuff at decentral.ch
Sat Jul 14 13:22:26 PDT 2018

On 07/12/2018 07:03 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>>>    Frans,
>>>
>>> Yeah! Now we're on the right track! :)
>>>
>>> Looking into it, the reason why initramfs is so tightly linked to
>>> systemd
>>> is because:
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only good reason for an
>> initramfs is so a totally generic kernel could be built with every
>> possible device driver for any unpredictable hardware out there as
>> modules, then with discovery keep only those modules with the running
>> kernel and dump the rest.
>
> That's generally correct, but the initrd is also used for other things
> than just drivers.  It can be used for mounting a root filesystem that
> is encrypted or be needed with LVM or other custom filesystems or for
> finding a partition identified with a UUID.

I also seem to be needing it when having the root partition on an md
raid device. I have not yet found a way to mount it without an initrd,
but maybe I am doing something wrong?

Apart from that, compiling with SATA/IDE and ext4 not as modules, none
of my boxes ever needed an initramfs, even if I have all the rest as
modules.

Cheers
Tim