[lfs-support] compile 4.17.7 32 bit

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:58:22 PDT 2018

On 07/17/2018 10:42 PM, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Heads up, this is affecting sporadic x86_64 PCs too. A sizable chunk of
> my 64bit machines refuse to boot with 4.17.7 and even a few 32bit ones
> with 4.17.6. There is obviously something wrong here that needs fixing.

Just to add a few things.  I just did a complete x86_64 rebuild with the
most recent kernel (4.17.7), binutils, util-linux, etc.

I did get some new test failures:

075-glibc-2.27:FAIL: nss/tst-nss-files-hosts-multi

105-inetutils-1.9.4:FAIL: ping-localhost.sh

106-perl-5.28.0:FAILED at test 7

138-eudev-3.2.5:FAIL: udev-test.pl

143-vim-8.1:1 FAILED:
143-vim-8.1:TEST FAILURE

I have not yet investigated those.

I also did some experimenting with a separate /usr partition.  The
system booted properly.  Here is some sizing data:

/dev/root        20G  3.4G   16G  18% /
/dev/sda24      9.8G  806M  8.5G   9% /usr

5.2M    bin
15M     etc
75M     jhalfs
42M     lib
4.0K    lib64
12K     media
4.0K    mnt
4.0K    opt
24K     root
12M     sbin
1.7G    sources
4.0K    srv
1.6G    tools
260K    var

The bottom line is that after removing jhalfs, tools, and sources, the
size needed for the root partition is only about 150 MB. For
installations that use encrypted partitions, RAID, etc, the root
partition would be to be a bit higher.  I'd probably go with 500 MB, but
as a proof of concept, this works nicely.

   -- Bruce