bookmarks/easier to quit/frame support

Bennett Todd bet at mordor.net
Tue Nov 30 13:10:02 PST 1999

1999-11-30-15:51:53 mattack at area.com:
> Now that there seems to be good competition for Lynx, [...]

Hear, hear! I'm totally blown away by how much is how cool in Links. I have
begun attempting to understand the source code enough so I can hack it, but
it's been a way long time since I've done lots of C, it's slow going. If
anyone out there has assembled any roadmap-type notes to help someone get
oriented, I'd be grateful.

There are a few things I want badly enough to where I'm hoping to have a try
at adding them, assuming nobody else does 'em first:

	- SSL
	- HTTP Basic Authentication
	- Cookies
	- Optional selectable links for inline images (so I can read
	  User Friendly with Links)

Get those done and I think I'll be able to retire Lynx. Joy!

> 1) Is there ANY bookmark support?  Especially _using Lynx_ bookmarks, or
> even an external app to convert to and from Lynx bookmarks (so I can keep
> both up to date).

There are some more items on my list, which will take care of quite a few
issues, including bookmarks:

	- Rebindable keys
	- Builtin function (which can be bound to a key) to jump to an
	  arbitrary hard-coded URL;
	- Builtin function (which ...) to invoke an external program with the
	  currently-selected URL as an argument; (with a suitable wrapper
	  script this might make a satisfactory temporary stopgap for mailto:
	  URLs until they get properly implemented);
	- embedded scripting language to allow you to e.g. compose multiple
	  builtin functions into one, and of course bind the result to a key;

This approach would also allow you to e.g. rebind the keys that activate a
link (enter, right-arrow, ???) to use a wrapper function that
special-case-handles some url types (ooh --- mailto!) and passes the rest on
to the builtin url visiter. For an embeddable scripting language, I think
Lua[1] looks pretty good; it is small enough that I think the code bloat it
would inflict is acceptable, and it's Really portable.

> 2) The REALLY annoying thing is how hard it is to quit links.  I have to
> hit escape, wait [I don't understand why], hit down arrow, hit e.
>
> I wish I could just hit Q or :q, or just plain E.. whatever

Mikulas recently added "Q" to quit. I'm pretty sure it's in -current, don't
know about 0.81pre6. But before then I was using ^C, that also seemed to work
fine.

Is anybody else noticing that quitting seems to leave the cursor way over on
the right edge, so the next shell prompt wraps and leave a character or two
behind? Or is this peculiar to my environment (working on the raw console of a
laptop, in 50-line mode, under Red Hat 6.1, in a screen(1) session)?

-Bennett

[1] <URL:http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/>