[links-list] Hebrew Tranlation for linux

Pablo Saratxaga pablo at mandrakesoft.com
Wed Aug 30 08:35:07 PDT 2000

Kaixo!

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 03:36:57PM +0300, Allow Ole wrote:

> i know what visual/logical are,
> I wrote it in visual order, of course,
> Do you want me to attach a Logical order translation also ?

That would be nice indeed.

> So far i don't know about any console fully supports hebrew.

If you use GNU/Linux on a PC, you can try "acon" (look for the acon
package at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/cooker/).
I've modified it to add support for Hebrew, if it is launched with
Hebrew locale (eg: LANG=he) it will select Hebrew mode.
Works quite well.

Now there is the problem of web sites written in visual Hebrew...
Maybe it is time to link Links with fribidi lib ?

Then we could have visual display on non-bidi systems, or logical display
on bidi-aware systems.

> I'm currently using Free/OpenBSD, and they didn't even have any hebrew
> fonts/keymap, until I sent them (sent to already to FreeBSD, will send to
> OpenBSD too, soon), but as far as I know, linux console doesn't support
> hebrew reversing also.

With (the modified) acon it does.
Maybe it will work on *BSD too (on the PC; I tried to compile it on Sparc
and failed (well the compilatio nwas ok; but it didn't worked, it froze
the cosnole instead); there are some bad assumptions about the int size
or the endianness I suppose... of course if you want to fix that I'll be
more than happy :)

> I saw HXterm, which is hebrew X terminal once, but I think this project is
> not being maintained by anyone anymore (correct me if I'm wrong).

Have you an URL for it ? (even if not mantained anymoe, it may still be very
useful).

> So, do you want a logical hebrew translation or not ?

I'm thinking maybe the direction to follow would be to mandate that all
translations be done in utf-8 (in logical order for RTL languages, but
with the ability to use the RTL and LTR markers of unicode);
then add bidi support to Links; and use the same unicode -> display charset
and the same bidi support for both the html rendering and the display
of the program menus and dialogs.

And for the bidi handling, a supplementary option added to tell if the
bidi reordering has to be done by Links (in which case pages in "visual"
order must be kept as is, and "logical" ones, and menus/dialogs, reordered);
or if that has to be left to the system (in which case "visual" pages
ahve to be reordered back to logical; and the "logical" pages as well
as menus/dialogs have to be passed untouched to the display).

So, if that infrastructure is put in place, only one translation would
be needed; by using utf-8 the ambiguities ca nbe forced with the use of
RTL and LTR unicode char tags. And by using unicode for the bidi ordering
the fribidi lib can be used, and it will work for all following languages:
Arabic, Azeri (written in arabic, as done in Iran), Farsi, Hebrew,
Urdu, Yiddish.

What do you think about that ?

--
Ki a vos vye bn,