[links-list] Hebrew Tranlation for linux

Allow Ole allow at darkserver.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 30 09:24:39 PDT 2000

Hey

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> Kaixo!
>
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 03:36:57PM +0300, Allow Ole wrote:
>
> > i know what visual/logical are,
> > I wrote it in visual order, of course,
> > Do you want me to attach a Logical order translation also ?
>
> That would be nice indeed.
atteched.

> > So far i don't know about any console fully supports hebrew.
>
> If you use GNU/Linux on a PC, you can try "acon" (look for the acon
> package at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/cooker/).
> I've modified it to add support for Hebrew, if it is launched with
> Hebrew locale (eg: LANG=he) it will select Hebrew mode.
> Works quite well.

will check this letter.

> Now there is the problem of web sites written in visual Hebrew...
> Maybe it is time to link Links with fribidi lib ?

well fribidi lib will required also linking with glib, and if you want
someone to understand the code after, you need to code a seperate module
(bidi.c ?) for the libfribidi, or make links to use glib.
If you are interested, I attached a small source I made, 'hebpipe', reads
data from STDIN, passes it trough fribidi, writes it to STDOUT.
I used it for turning the hebrew in the language file from visual to
logical.
This should compile using:
gcc -o hebpipe hebpipe.c `fribidi-config --cflags` `fribidi-config --libs`
Also, if talking about intergrating libs... as far as I know, (checked on
version 0.82 or something), links does async lookup using threads.
Threads sucks (Forking more tough).
The best method to do this, in my opinion, is using async dns lib.
I know some programs use it, and it should offer all the required routines
of the resolver library, in asyncronious favor.

> Then we could have visual display on non-bidi systems, or logical display
> on bidi-aware systems.
>
> > I'm currently using Free/OpenBSD, and they didn't even have any hebrew
> > fonts/keymap, until I sent them (sent to already to FreeBSD, will send to
> > OpenBSD too, soon), but as far as I know, linux console doesn't support
> > hebrew reversing also.
>
> With (the modified) acon it does.
> Maybe it will work on *BSD too (on the PC; I tried to compile it on Sparc
> and failed (well the compilatio nwas ok; but it didn't worked, it froze
> the cosnole instead); there are some bad assumptions about the int size
> or the endianness I suppose... of course if you want to fix that I'll be
> more than happy :)
will test it soon. about ints.... replace some 4's with sizeof(int) and
it'll be ok.
use htonx, ntohx (when x = s for short, l for long) macros in order to
turn the endianness into to correct one.

> > I saw HXterm, which is hebrew X terminal once, but I think this project is
> > not being maintained by anyone anymore (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Have you an URL for it ? (even if not mantained anymoe, it may still be very
> useful).
First of all, as far as I remember it's from 1994.
I never saw it in action, just heard of it.
I tried to find it, not success yet.
I only seen it mentioned in some arabic on unix faq or something like
that, but no url was given.
The filename was hxterm.tar.gz
If i'll find it, will send it to the list (the URL).

> > So, do you want a logical hebrew translation or not ?
>
> I'm thinking maybe the direction to follow would be to mandate that all
> translations be done in utf-8 (in logical order for RTL languages, but
> with the ability to use the RTL and LTR markers of unicode);
> then add bidi support to Links; and use the same unicode -> display charset
> and the same bidi support for both the html rendering and the display
> of the program menus and dialogs.
>
> And for the bidi handling, a supplementary option added to tell if the
> bidi reordering has to be done by Links (in which case pages in "visual"
> order must be kept as is, and "logical" ones, and menus/dialogs, reordered);
> or if that has to be left to the system (in which case "visual" pages
> ahve to be reordered back to logical; and the "logical" pages as well
> as menus/dialogs have to be passed untouched to the display).
>
> So, if that infrastructure is put in place, only one translation would
> be needed; by using utf-8 the ambiguities ca nbe forced with the use of
> RTL and LTR unicode char tags. And by using unicode for the bidi ordering
> the fribidi lib can be used, and it will work for all following languages:
> Arabic, Azeri (written in arabic, as done in Iran), Farsi, Hebrew,
> Urdu, Yiddish.
>
> What do you think about that ?

Applying hebrew patches to console drivers will be the best.
This is the way windows chosen, and as far as I know, there are less
hebrew problems on microsoft windows than on any other OS.