[links-list] Links - feature request

Richard C. Steiner rsteiner at visi.com
Wed Aug 22 10:57:44 PDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, heretic108 wrote:
>
> >Secondly, I wonder if anyone has entertained a silly but potentially
> >worthwhile idea - rendering images in whatever character sets are
> >available. Wouldn't be too good with small pictures, but with medium to
>
> Seems pretty silly, imho..  Just download the pictures if you need to
> look at them..

The old DOS browser in Minuet (anyone else remember that? <grin>) used to
acually showed the "80x25 text screen" in a graphics mode, and it tried to
show GIF files inline alongside the text.

Not as graceful as a real graphical browser, and it slows things down, but
I thought it was an interesting approach.

Personally, I prefer using links (or rarely lynx) with MIME definitions
pointing to zgv under Linux or to a DOS viewer under OS/2 and selectively
viewing images as needed.

This might be offtopic here, but maybe it's tangentally related: does
anyone know if zgv has been ported to OS/2?

> I would agree though if some small things that people use pictures for (e.g.
> bullets, etc) could be "recognized" and turned into text that'd be good.

Find a way to recompile Netscape under the same libraries that Text-Mode
Quake uses and you'll get text graphics.  :-)

--
  -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  rsteiner at visi.com  >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
                  Written online (ugh!) using pine!