[links-list] Links - feature request

NotYoU at asu.edu NotYoU at asu.edu
Wed Aug 22 12:50:34 PDT 2001

> This would slow things down (rendering), but I suppose it would be an
> interesting patch. Although, would it be worth it? The images themselves
> would have to be of a decent resolution to make much out of it. Who knows.
>

> > The old DOS browser in Minuet (anyone else remember that? <grin>) used to
> > acually showed the "80x25 text screen" in a graphics mode, and it tried to
> > show GIF files inline alongside the text.

I have a much simpler suggestion that would still allow links to handle images
a bit better.

What if there was a user setting for "pixels per character" (actually,
probably two, one for horizontally and one for vertically), and links then
rendered images as empty (but roughly correct-size) boxes.

I'm not sure which would be more useful (perhaps it could be a configurable
option): rendering the image as an actual outlined ASCII box, or as blank
space.

Either way, this would improve link's (already spectacular) formatting. Right
now most of the pages I see that come out looking not-quite-right are the ones
that utilize images for spacing and formatting.

	-Michael