[links-list] "Bad http response"

Alexander Mai st002279 at hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jan 9 06:36:03 PST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:55:29PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On or about Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 02:50:56PM +0100, Alexander Mai typed:
> >Ok, any chance links will become more tolerant about this like
> >lynx/Netscape/etc. ?
>
> This is a standard problem. Why should software that does the right
> thing be corrupted just to deal with software that's been written
> badly?
>
> (Yes, I admin email. No, I don't care about Exchange servers.)
>
> Roger

Well, there are at least two different possibilities:

Something like a compiler should strictly check the input for compliance with
standards, etc.
A browser (text, file, web, image) has the purpose to make the data
it receives visible/usable/etc. for the user. The user does not care
at all about http protocols and such things. And more over: (s)he can't
even change/influence it.

And finally: I have no idea how big the percentage of broken http servers
is in 4W (Whole World Wide Web), but it won't help links in any way
if will just ignore such sites if all the other browsers will handle
those few %s.
The only question I would discuss here is the priority of such an
'enhancement' for links. It's certainly not a No. 1 even in my
wish list.

--
Alexander Mai
st002279 at hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de