[links-list] "Bad http response" (fwd)

Matt Ackeret mattack at area.com
Tue Jan 9 12:46:21 PST 2001

mattack at area.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:46:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Ackeret <mattack at area.com>
To: Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org>
Subject: Re: [links-list] "Bad http response"

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Roger Burton West wrote:
>On or about Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 02:50:56PM +0100, Alexander Mai typed:
>>Ok, any chance links will become more tolerant about this like
>>lynx/Netscape/etc. ?
>
>This is a standard problem. Why should software that does the right
>thing be corrupted just to deal with software that's been written
>badly?

As made famous by Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"

This may sound like it's against something I said previously, but it's
not really.  I'm all for software adhering to standards and such, but there
are times, and a web browser is one of those times, when it needs to
be able to cope with bad data *to be usable to the user*.

If it put up an annoying modal dialog (sorry that's redundant) the first time
it hit some thing and said "<so and so> is nonstandard and broken. This program
will try to deal with it" and even maybe giving you a change to email the
site admins for the site ABOUT the problem... but then be able to just shut
off the dialog for the future..