[links-list] Patch to work inside Twin.

Brent Cook busterb at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 15 21:26:02 PST 2001

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Marco Bodrato wrote:

> Here is a patch to use mouse and open new windows inside Termina WINdow
> environment.
>
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Brent Cook wrote:
> > Another idea would be to put links into some sort of split-screen mode,
>
> IMHO this is not a good idea. Links is a browser, a good one, simple and
> fast. There are other programs to manage multi-window/session: screen,
> twin. It's enough if links will be aware of them and work inside them.
>
> You can find a screenshot in:
> 	http://www-studenti.dm.unipi.it/~bodrato/twin_links.png

Wow, good work. I will have to admit though, I was a little bewildered by
that screenshot - it's a little jumbled, though it may be clearer on a
larger screen (say an xterm - I'll try twin out sometime).

What I was thinking was something more like the multiple buffers in Emacs
or Elvis. If you've seen the feature that IE 4-5 and Konqueror have, you
can split the screen as such; one pane is fixed to a web page. As you
click on that page, the links appear on the other pane. It's sort of like
opening in a new window, but without the new window. Think of it as the
web analog of a file manager - your index (directory tree) is on one side,
the pages (directory contents) are in another.

Keep it up!

 - BC