[links-list] Re: links as text/html filter for email

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Wed Sep 26 13:22:07 PDT 2001

> > links -html-numbered-links 1 -dump http://pasky.ji.cz/ # ;-)
>
> two problems with this:
>    1. (and lynx does this too) there's no way to see what text is linked.  it
>       makes a difference if it's the word immediately preceeding the footnote or the
>       6 words preceeding the footnote.
Yeah, it would be nice.. nevertheless no time to write the patch now :(

>    2. there is no list of links at the bottom of the page.
>       that seems to be another flag that must be waved...
>       (i dislike mandatory flag-waving ;')
No clue about this possibility :( altough it would be logical to have it.

> > > 2. [img] or [alt text] seems missing...these are important to know what's being "lost in translation"...
> > links -html-images 1 -dump http://some.page.with.images.com/
>
> uh, okay.  it would be nice to default to the name of the image when there is no alt text as that would still convey some meaning and allow correlation with attached images.
Yeah, it would be nice.. nevertheless no time to write the patch now :(
[you started good with entering, but then forgot ;]

[OT from now]

I won't probably discuss following topic anymore (except to the one paragraph
related to links), as it is somewhat useless and really an OT.

> > > I want several things that I'm hoping others want as well:
> > >
> > >    1) I want to better apprehend the subtlety of emphasis in text/html
> > >       email...  (i mostly use mutt these days)
> > so do i, and for those reasons i'm launching the links itself and
> > using it as a pager as well :)
>
> I use mailcap w/ copiousoutput=1 because that's the only way i've found to get the converted html quoted for replies.  I  also don't want to use an external pager because then i lose the keystrokes of the mail-reader.
well, i only use that if someone attachs some interesting html document to
a mail, not for viewing of the mail itself.. honestly, i _never_ received
a mail which content is only in html.. and i would just reply to its originator
to send me something readable ;-)

> if i want to follow a link, i'll rely on the terminal's url-detection mechanisms.  (and i'd like there to be a terminal code to make clickable text, just like colored text...  <esc><something>URL^Gtext^G)
uh, that's nonsense.. that has something to do with kernel, but its
functionality hasn't.. application can catch clicking somewhere, nothing to do
with esc sequences.

> no.  a simplified human-typable markup.
>
> like this:  b;bold one word   -> <b>bold</b> one word
> 	    b;;bold many words; -> <b>bold many words</b>
>
> that's just what i consider to be within the realm of what's reasonable to type.
> it's possible to do it without torturing fingers or switching editors.
> but editor support would certainly be nice.
i'm used to use ; frequently ;p i just don't like that, the duration delta
of typing that is minimal.. and i use _this_ or *this* or THIS if i wan't to
emphasize something ;-)

> i only want links to be an effective way to filter html to text, with flat text
> and terminal-ready output as separate options.
yeah, that would be definitively nice.. when i will get a while, i will try
to write some patch..

> i'm not complaining.  snowballs have to start rolling somewhere and I hope to
> energize others who believe, as I do, that dated mail tools are balkanizing
> discussions unnecessarily.
i don't :-)

> > >    ...every day, computers are making people easier to use...
> > idealist.. ;-)
> >

> ideals guide us.
signed

        n = ((n >>  1) & 0x55555555) | ((n <<  1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
        n = ((n >>  2) & 0x33333333) | ((n <<  2) & 0xcccccccc);
        n = ((n >>  4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n <<  4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
        n = ((n >>  8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n <<  8) & 0xff00ff00);
        n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);
                -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.
My public PGP key is on: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/pubkey.txt
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org