[links-list] Re: New Window (ncurses)

Mark Lundeberg mark at xriso.mine.nu
Tue Apr 30 15:45:50 PDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 eeprom at bol.com.br wrote:

> Links can open a new 'instance' of itself inside a new window in X. But is
> Links capable of openning a new 'window' inside the existing NCurses
> interface of a given terminal?

Perhaps we could use the openvt (1) program to use another virtual
terminal. It would still be a bit of a pain because you'd have one links
on Alt-F1, then the next on Alt-F7, then Alt-F8 ... on my system.

> I use BitchX for my IRC conversations on the internet and it is able to
> open several windows wich are then acessible trough the ALT+x key
> combination, where x is a number between 0 and 9. So I'm able to be on 10
> diferent channels at the same time without mixing the conversations from
> one channel with the other.

I've been thinking about the exact same feature. :-)  Judging by what
little I know of the links' inner workings, this should not require
extensive modifications. The reason is because even seperate links
processes will try to join together so that one can do all the work and
the others just have to display to their terminals. The major problem that
could come up is telling the hidden "window"s to not mess up the
screen by displaying. But I don't know the code too well, so this may even
be a non-issue.

Mark

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org