[links-list] Re: Rendering of SGML and super/subscripts

Steve White swhite at zipcon.net
Sat Aug 10 16:32:51 PDT 2002

Sorry, David,

You're quite wrong.  The SGML Greek characters are not meant
for representing the Greek language.  They are for math.

You will find in the documentation for HTML 4 SGML entities
	<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html>
under section 24.3 the following comment.

	"When to use Greek entities. This entity set contains all the
	letters used in modern Greek. However, it does not include Greek
	punctuation, precomposed accented characters nor the non-spacing
	accents (tonos, dialytika) required to compose them. There are no
	archaic letters, Coptic-unique letters, or precomposed letters for
	Polytonic Greek. The entities defined here are not intended for
	the representation of modern Greek text and would not be an
	efficient representation; rather, they are intended for occasional
	Greek letters used in technical and mathematical works."

The correct way to represent Greek text is to specify a character
encoding, such as iso-8859-7 or UTF-8, which supports the Greek
alphabet entirely.

You will find that links transliterates characters from iso-8859-7
when used on a terminal that doesn't support this character set.
See my page <http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/greek.html>

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:19:55 +0200 ,
David Mediavilla <r96x6a79yki40001 at sneakemail.com> wrote

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org