[links-list] Re: Rendering of SGML and super/subscripts

David Mediavilla r96x6a79yki40001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Aug 10 16:57:42 PDT 2002

Steve White escribió:

> Sorry, David,
>
> You're quite wrong.  The SGML Greek characters are not meant
> for representing the Greek language.  They are for math.

	Okay, that makes the distinction easier. But the suggestion by Petr of
hacking the transliteration of Greek characters, (not Greek entities) is
wrong, isn't it?

> You will find in the documentation for HTML 4 SGML entities
>         <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html>
> under section 24.3 the following comment.
>         efficient representation; rather, they are intended for occasional
>         Greek letters used in technical and mathematical works."
> The correct way to represent Greek text is to specify a character
> encoding, such as iso-8859-7 or UTF-8, which supports the Greek
> alphabet entirely.

> You will find that links transliterates characters from iso-8859-7
> when used on a terminal that doesn't support this character set.
> See my page <http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/greek.html>

	By the way, is Q an understandable transliteration of 'psi'. I'd have
thought 'PS'/'ps' better. There may a force pulling to "1 character
transliterated to 1 ASCII", but it is already broken with theta. And
also the transliterations of the H-like (Eta?) as Y and KS(?) as C seem
strange. Do they match Modern Greek or some convention?

--
	David Mediavilla Ezquibela <davidme at bigfoot.com>
		[ES/EN/EO/IT/EU] 		(Baraka)
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org