[links-list] Re: Display of SGML Greek characters

Steve White swhite at zipcon.net
Wed Aug 14 18:30:10 PDT 2002

Thanks,

You've helped me see something I needed to know:  That re-mapping the
SGML Greek Math symbols for the default 8-bit display screws up
the display of the symbols in an iso-8859-07 display, which should
render them as Greek alphabetic glyphs.

I think there's a way around this.

However, your advice for getting a Greek console up didn't work on
my system (Mandrake 8.2).  I finally got one, but I'm just disgusted
by the quality of the explanations one finds on this subject.
Not the first time, in Unix, I have been so frustrated.

Here's what I did:

I tried
	$setfont -u iso07 iso07.f08
which gave this
	Warning: this is a shell wrapper; consider using consolechars(8)
	set_kernel_font: Operation not permitted

So I tried
	$consolechars -f iso07.f08.psf -u iso07
which gave
	set_kernel_font: Operation not permitted
so I tried as root. which gave
	$set_kernel_font: Invalid argument

I remembered something in the Mandrake Control Center:
	Personalization
		Country & Lanugage
			Charset: iso8859-7
			Apply
	Quit

then open new console

THEN I get a Greek console.

but...there must be a command-line version....and there must be a way
to just set the character set for one terminal...no?

I didn't have much luck with your method (2) either.  perhaps
just setting the font doesn't set the character mapping?

on Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:31:32 -0700
"BC Sittler" <bsittler at iname.com>