[links-list] Re: probable bug in elinks: wrong < and > interpretation

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Fri Jan 4 05:07:13 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 07:16:07AM CET, I got a letter, where Anton
Voloshin <vav at isv.ru> told me, that...
> using current development elinks to look at
> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/compilers.html, I've noticed strange looking
> line in program example:
>
> cout <> s;
>
> E.g. galeon shows the same place more correctly:
>
> cout << "Please enter your first name followed by a newline\n"; cin >> s;
>
> I'm not sure that this is a bug (strange usage of < and > symbols in HTML),
> but I'd like links to show such pages in a more nice way anyway. :)
Well, it IS start and end of a tag, and elinks interpreted it correctly.  IMHO
it would maybe be possible to hack some kind of more fuzzy logic to HTML
parser, but then we would lose our pedantic aura ;-)). And we wouldn't conform
to standarts so much as we do now. I just don't happen to like this a lot.

The solution which comes to mind are two modes of HTML parsing - first one
strict, and the second one relaxed, which would accept this. However I've no
idea if someone would use the strict mode then after all ;-).

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv, (e)links
.
The advantage of GUI is that you can see everything you can change.
The disadvantage of GUI is that you can change only what you can see.
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org