[links-list] Re: probable bug in elinks: wrong < and > interpretation

Khimenko Victor khim at sch57.msk.ru
Fri Jan 4 08:49:24 PST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Nevermind wrote:

> Hello, Khimenko Victor!
>
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 06:29:01PM +0300, you wrote:
>
> > > The solution which comes to mind are two modes of HTML parsing - first one
> > > strict, and the second one relaxed, which would accept this. However I've no
> > > idea if someone would use the strict mode then after all ;-).
> > >

> > IMO better not strict vs relaxed but more like "try to normalize broken
> > page" mode. Some additional parser which can be called from menu or via
> > hotkey when page is fully loaded and which tries to make page more
> > standard-compilant. Since page is fully in memory it can use more
> > versions of fuzzy logic. I'm not sure if it worth the trouble, though:
> > "normal pages" can be viewed already and no amount of fuzzy logic will
> > make javascript-based or flash-based site working in links anyway...
> We can use for this HTML Tidy program from www.w3.org.

Perhaps something like HTML Tidy call should go in default hooks.lua then?
I'm not sure if such thing can be done from lua just now... Then
interpretation of every broken-yet-visible-in-MS-IE-page will be HTML Tidy
problem and not links problem ...

P.S. Of course it can not be used as "default mode" and can be used only
as "last resort" - exactly what we need to make strict mode used by
everyone normally...

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org