[links-list] Re: probable bug in elinks: wrong < and > interpretation

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Fri Jan 4 09:20:20 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 05:49:24PM CET, I got a letter, where
Khimenko Victor <khim at sch57.msk.ru> told me, that...

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Nevermind wrote:

> > > IMO better not strict vs relaxed but more like "try to normalize broken
> > > page" mode. Some additional parser which can be called from menu or via
> > > hotkey when page is fully loaded and which tries to make page more
> > > standard-compilant. Since page is fully in memory it can use more
> > > versions of fuzzy logic. I'm not sure if it worth the trouble, though:
> > > "normal pages" can be viewed already and no amount of fuzzy logic will
> > > make javascript-based or flash-based site working in links anyway...
> > We can use for this HTML Tidy program from www.w3.org.
> >
> Perhaps something like HTML Tidy call should go in default hooks.lua then?
> I'm not sure if such thing can be done from lua just now... Then
> interpretation of every broken-yet-visible-in-MS-IE-page will be HTML Tidy
> problem and not links problem ...
This should be possible. In fact I do this partially now in my hooks.lua (see
"fix unclosed input/a tags" in hooks.lua). It would be nice if someone would do
this more properly.

> P.S. Of course it can not be used as "default mode" and can be used only as
> "last resort" - exactly what we need to make strict mode used by everyone
> normally...
IMHO lua should be capable to do this now as well - similiarly as it mangles
ALT.

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv, (e)links
.
The advantage of GUI is that you can see everything you can change.
The disadvantage of GUI is that you can change only what you can see.
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org