[links-list] Re: links and authentication

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Fri Jan 4 12:51:07 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:31:32PM CET, I got a letter, where
giorgian <giorgian at icube.it> told me, that...
> On ven, gen 04, 2002 at 08:19:04 +0100, Christian Hennecke wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:10:11 +0100, giorgian wrote:
> >
> > >i've looked through the links (v. 0.96 - debian) manual, but didn't find
> > >out how can i use http authentication.
> >
> > IIRC the only way it works is by using something like:
> >
> > http://userid:password@where.to.go
> >

> doesn't seem to work (at least with zope): tried
>
> links http://giorgian:giorgian@neuromancer.icube.it:9673/manage
>
> got an unauthorized message. :(
Current links _has_ HTTP authentication support, but it is manually disabled in
the source code, as it is buggy and needs a rewrite. If you want somewhat more
stable HTTP authentication support, move to elinks (http://pasky.ji.cz/elinks/)
and check out HTTP_AUTH branch, which contains this support (basically do the
same commands like you would when you would want to check out stable 0.2
release, but instead of REL_0_2 write HTTP_AUTH).

However, please note that this support is still unstable and you may get into
some problems occassionally.  Please update frequently if you will use it, as
more fixes may follow soon.

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv, (e)links
.
The advantage of GUI is that you can see everything you can change.
The disadvantage of GUI is that you can change only what you can see.
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org