[links-list] Re: links still doesn't fill paragraphs to the screen's width!

csaba.raduly at sophos.com csaba.raduly at sophos.com
Mon Jun 17 03:14:54 PDT 2002

On 14/06/2002 19:47:50 links-list-bounce wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Petr Kulhavy wrote:
>>On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 csaba.raduly at sophos.com wrote:
>>
>>> Could it be that all of those browsers are broken ?
>>>   means non-breaking space. Doesn't that suggest that, errr, a
browser
>>> _shouldn't_ break lines at that point ?
>>>
>>> You may call Links pedant. Breaking lines at   might mess up
>>> other pages where the author used   correctly.
>>
>>Yes.   means don't break line here. If some browser breaks the line
>>at   it's a bug.
>
>But think about a word processor.

Why should I ? Links is a web browser. Let's just hope it doesn't go the
way
of "everything but the kitchen sink" software :-(
If you want a word processor, you know where to find it.

>If you are typing normally, with words, it will word wrap on word
boundaries.

>Butifyoutypeonereallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally

>reallyreallyreallylongword, it will actually word-wrap in the middle of
>the word since it's IMPOSSIBLE to get that one word on one line.

I'm sure the inhabitants of Llanfair Pw would be unhappy about this :-)
Fitting a very long word on a line is a word processor's problem, because
it normally operates in the confines of a physical page.
A web browser is NOT required to fit anything in a "page". There's
no such thing as a (paper) page. Imagine what would happen if
every web page would get wrapped at column 72 !

>In general, I am very much for following the standards.  But there
>are *some* times when I think that the standards can be _optionally_
broken
>for actual usability.

In which case we may just as well forget about standards and do as we
please, because we know better than everybody else, right ?

Down that path lies "Hi, it looks like you're writing a web page. Do you
want me to completely mess it up for you ?"

Standards can be changed. Until they are changed, they are there to be
followed.

--
Csaba Ráduly, Software Engineer                           Sophos Anti-Virus
email: csaba.raduly at sophos.com                        http://www.sophos.com

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org