[links-list] Re: links still doesn't fill paragraphs to the screen's width!

Brent Cook busterb at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 18 18:02:41 PDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:

> csaba.raduly at sophos.com wrote:
>  >On 14/06/2002 19:47:50 links-list-bounce wrote:
>  >>On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Petr Kulhavy wrote:
>  >>>Yes.   means don't break line here. If some browser breaks the line
>  >>>at   it's a bug.
>
>   is a bug in the standard. Its sole use is to allow web designers
> to annoy us. If it's not in a <pre>, a space (and other characters when
> necessary) should be breakable.

I would like to know what the standard says the width of a   entity
should be with respect to surrounding text. A string of  s is used
sometimes by web designers to make a paragraph flow within a certain
width, but with most graphical browsers, a   is actually not as wide
as an entire character, at least with a proportional font. So, in those
cases, a string of  's will not nearly as wide as an equivalent in
number string of m's. Perhaps links should interpret a  's as 1/4 of
a character wide, rounding up.  This would reflect what most designers
intended, as well as sticking to the 'standard' and not wrapping
or dropping  's.

Personally, I see text-mode links making all sorts of concessions as
appropriate for the limitations of the medium, dropping background colors,
not displaying different fonts, no graphics. I fail to see how not
honoring a string of redundant  's 100% of the time is any different.
It would be like a speaking web browser noting every time it found a
different font style, color or other graphical element; inappopriate for
the medium.

 - Brent

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org