[links-list] Re: Japanese pages, scrolling

Petr Kulhavy brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Jun 19 02:17:26 PDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Eduard Werner wrote:

> From: Petr Kulhavy <brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
> Subject: [links-list] Re: Japanese pages, scrolling
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:45:22 +0200 (CEST)
>
> > On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Eduard Werner wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > why are Japanese pages rendered incorrectly (w.o. Japanese fonts)
> > > in links 2.0pre6? I guess I have the necessary fonts installed,
> >
> > What encoding does the page use?
>
> Shift_JIS (whatever that means :-). It's www.chushogi.jp.
> www.shogidojo.com uses x-sjis. Not displayed properly either.

That's because links is able to accept only 8-bit character sets and UTF8.
Japanese encodings have more than 8-bits so Links isn't able to have
such tables. Links contains Hiragana and Katakana fonts but not Kanji (I
haven't found unicode bitmap font for Kanji). So it is able to display
Hiragana and Katakana pages in unicode.

Brain

Petr `Brain' Kulhavy
<brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Charles University Prague, Czech Republic

---
One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org