[links-list] Re: 486 and links

Petr Kulhavy brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Jun 19 07:38:59 PDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, root wrote:

> swapping problem is quite solved since 2.4.19 is out. my machine
> swaps ofcourse, but it is not a reason to display page in 10 or so
> minutes.
> i also noticed that slowest part of links is graphics display, i ran it

What do you mean with graphics display?

> on 586 and this is the most time-eating thing.
> maybe links render graphics by putting pixels directly to screen using
> svgalib or xlib routine?

No, it writes directly to video memory.

> it is kinda strange, because i can actually see how _every_ letter is
> drawed. it takes about 5-10 seconds to draw single letter. this is
> obviously a bug. maybe there is unoptimized routine of buffer ? like
> table which hold display data is integer or even double integer, even if i
> set up lower depth ?

I think your machine is too slow for 48bit gamma correction. Do you have
FPU?

> maybe it is case of holding too large font in memory and then re-scaling
> it? maybe it is fleaky 'proportional' font routine (i see no option to
> disable variable width fonts and thus making rendering faster)
>
> maybe it is case of holding too many fonts and thus rendering page
> requires gathering data from various places?

Unused letters and fonts are swapped out.

> maybe it is case of multiple processes ran in parallel?

Links is single threaded.

Brain

Petr `Brain' Kulhavy
<brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Charles University Prague, Czech Republic

---
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.
                -- Ambrose Bierce

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org