[links-list] Re: links still doesn't fill paragraphs to the screen's width!

Mikulas Patocka mikulas at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Jun 19 15:05:58 PDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Petr Kulhavy wrote:
>
> >Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:35:47 +0200 (CEST)
> >From: Petr Kulhavy <brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
> >To: links-list at linuxfromscratch.org
> >Subject: [links-list] Re: links still doesn't fill paragraphs to the
> >    screen's width!

> >> I rather _optionally_ break usability for actual standards.
> >
> >And this case _IS_NOT_ breaking usability.
>
> Of course it is.  Having to scroll left and right for no good reason is
> breaking usability.

I think this whole discussion is a pointless.

1. Links is not strictly following standards when renderering tables.
Links table renderer starts to ignore cell-widths, sets smaller margins of
texts in cells or shifts the whole left ignoring the left-margin, if it
finds that the table doesn't fit on page.
Links tries to render the page according to standard, and if it fails to
fit it in window width, it slightly ignores some table parameters.

2. The amount of pages, where tables get broken because of too many
 s; is minimal.

3. If it happens, you can turn tables off and get readable well-wrapped
text.

4. Even if these pages were "fixed" by wrapping in nonwrappable positions,
it would severely break a lot of other pages. Imagine a table with 20
coulumns, wrapped into 80-char wide terminal with exactly 3 letters per
column.

Tex
ts
in
tha
tab
le
wou
ld
be
wra
ppe
lik
thi
whi
ch
is
tot
all
unr
ead
abl
e.

It is certainly much better to have a wider table and scroll it with '['
and ']' than having texts like the above.

Mikulas

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org