[links-list] Graphics/Text browser with Kanji support

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt jupp at gmx.de
Wed Jun 19 15:34:15 PDT 2002

Hi!

I don't think that it is a good idea to implement support for Kanji at
this time. I think that making "links -l" handier should be primary
task to be addressed. Kanji support is something that so far has not
been a primary goal of links. For the time being, you may wish to use
w3m - a japanese text and graphics web browser - that has good support
for Kanji (and maybe a code base that could be used for implementing
this feature in links).

I don't use w3m as a web browser but as part of my mail system. My
Mailer is MEW (from Japan, http://www.mew.org/) that runs in Emacs.
MEW relies on external programs to render HTML. The rendering is done
by w3m, the w3m interface to Emacs is provided by w3m.el. Nicely
renders HTML mails even if they are in Japanese :-) See bottom part of

    http://dwd.da.ru/linux/soft/recommended/internet.html
or
    http://deusxmachina.da.ru/linux/soft/recommended/internet.html

for links to w3m & Co.