[links-list] Re: links, frambebuffer & gpm

Wiktor Grebla greblus at poczta.onet.pl
Sun May 19 09:58:56 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 04:38:35PM +0200, Petr Kulhavy wrote:

> 24bit mode works too.

In 24 like in 32 bit the screen blanks, i thought maybe because there is
no such color mode in generate_palette function in framebuffer.c, but
i think the problem is with the radeon driver, it's growing slowly, and
there is _one_ man doing something to change it :):

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101839775608272&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101795702128615&w=2

"...
* Removed 24 bit support. It didn't work and the X source hints that
Radeon might not support 24 bit modes. If you ask for a 24 bit mode, the
driver will switch to a 32 bit one.

* Hacked wildly at the colour support to get it to work. Removed use of
the palette for 15/16 bit modes (I can't fathom why it was there in the
first place). The palette is now initialised to an identity mapping for
15/16/32 bit modes

* All colour modes > 8bpp are now DIRECTCOLOR (Geert inspired).
..."

Hehe, maybe that's why it works with links only in 8 bit mode ;)

> If you give me documentation how to set palette on fb I can fix it.

I think Peter Horton is a right person to ask about it, but i'm afraid
he wont answer me, as Ani Joshi did (i think he's the maintainer),
before this patches fixed some strange behaviours of my radeon ;)

Thanks for your work, links is really cool.

Pozdrawiam
	W.
--
Drunks are rarely amusing unless they know some good songs and lose a
lot a poker.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org