[links-list] Re: lynx vs. links vs. elinks?

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Wed May 22 13:33:11 PDT 2002

Dear diary, on Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:17:45PM CEST, I got a letter,
where clemensF <ino-waiting at gmx.net> told me, that...
> just curious.  lynx can be trusted to cover the entire kuddelmuddel called
> "world wide web".  it is well represented by Thomas Dickey.  links is now
> what many hope for:  browsing in text-mode and also capable of
> javascript and graphics, running native code for each platform, of which
> are many.  elinks has no javascript, but lua and is very alive under
> professional-class development.
>
> Mikulas Patocka is for links, Petr "pasky" Baudis for elinks.  there are
> other projects whose goal is "good surfing":
>
> Dillo Web Browser :: Home Page, small, graphical
> http://dillo.cipsga.org.br/
>
> there's also netrik, text mode browser with ecma javascript
> http://netrik.sourceforge.net/
>
> the three names associated with their respective projects form the
> "personality" of (the development of) their products.  mikulas patocka
> moreover belongs to Twibright Labs
> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/index.html, pasky
> claims to be^W^W^Wis of value to the development of IPv6 :)  he's doing a
> great job, though, and never came back those who set out about who's
> ghostwriting for pasky.  what a sad story ...  thomas dickey maintains lynx
> and vile and xterm and ..., also doing a very good job.

I find this as interesting summary :).

> x.  do the people named in this document cooperate actively?

I didn't ever even know name of lynx maintainer, altough name "Thomas Dickey"
sounds somehow resembling to me. However, we never exchange any mail, mainly
because I didn't need anything from him (lynx and (E)Links designs are
fundamentally different anyway; honestly, I don't even have lynx tarball on my
disk - never needed it, when somehting was missing, it was easier to me to look
it up in w3m) and apparently he didn't need anything from me :).

We occassionally exchange mails with Mikulas - I'm always the initiator and I
usually ask about some change in Links which was unclear to me or about some
strange piece of Links code I can't understand. However, these mail
conversations aren't frequent and we don't cooperate on developing any new
features; basically because we both have apparently very different ideas about
how code should look like and even different goals for our projects.

> x.  will we see a cross ported version of the best of links <-> elinks?
>
> i would love a textbrowser having SSL, javascript and lua and graphics,
> 100% compatible to all those sites i must browse to.

Based on my observations, Mikulas is not interested in ELinks features I
offered to him to merge :). I plan slow merge of Links features, but it will
take longer time due to amount of changes happenned, harder tracking of them
(absence of changelogs, jump in time back to 0.92 code as a base etc) and also
overall quality (I mean mainly readibility now) of the code.

I also consider just mirroring Links features, but developing them on our own.
This may be possibly easier than trying to merge Links features. I'll see yet.
I know I won't change bookmarks format to HTML. I wonder if I will be able to
merge graphic support (it will be a lot different on source code level,
however). I'm almost sure now that I won't merge javascript support, but rather
try to re-implement it; from my point, code for javascript is unusable - it is
too messy and inextensible for me. Nevertheless, as I said, we will see :).

Object orientation is in the mind, not in the compiler. -- Alan Cox
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org