[links-list] Re: UTF-8 terminal I/O recoding patch for links-2.0pre1+ notes

BC Sittler bsittler at iname.com
Thu May 23 12:55:12 PDT 2002

Not that I'm aware of, but do see:

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/freefont/

The Unifont is just bitmaps in Roman's custom ".hex" format. Basically the bitmaps come in two flavors: 8x16 and 16x16. It's a "bi-width" character cell font, which is a merging of two different fixed-width character cell fonts. The "hex2bdf" utility will convert it to a standard X11 bitmap font. Refer to the resulting "human-readable" BDF font file for baseline and other metrics.

I use unifont.hex+missinghan.hex (split into two separate X11 fonts by cell width to make xterm happy) as my Unicode xterm font. It seems to work reasonably well, although none of the Unifont combining characters are usable (they all have an annoying circle glyph in place of the character to be modified, and are placed icorrectly for simple overstriking.)

The available pieces of the Unifont are as follows:

unifont.hex - most of Unifont coverage. Includes most scripts, symbols, etc.

missinghan.hex - some Han ideographs missing from the basic Unifont. Use these if you don't have better ones.

johabthin.hex - some Korean characters (from a Johab-encoded Hangeul font) which are great for input methods but which aren't present in Unicode (or at least aren't indexed by correct Unicode codepoint.) Don't worry about them until Links needs its own Korean input method.

plane+01.hex - a few musical symbols from plane 01 (U+010000 - U+01FFFF) - you must subtract U+010000 from a character code to look it up in this file, as the Unifont Perl scripts don't handle !=4digits unicode codepoints. Not widely used, and probably not worth worrying about for Links.

plane+0E.hex - visualizations for the "tag ASCII" characters from plane 0E (U+0E0000 - U+0EFFFF) - you must subtract 0+0E0000 from a character code to look it up in this file, as the Unifont Perl scripts don't handle !=4digits unicode codepoints. These are supposed to be used for language (variant) tagging in plaintext where no markup is possible, but I've never seen them used, so I wouldn't bother with them in Links either.

As for Markus Kuhn's fonts, they are X11 bitmap fonts. All metrics are in the font files (which are "human-readable" BDF) as usual for X11 bitmap fonts. I haven't used them, so I can't comment on their quality or coverage.

-Ben