[links-list] Re: Links 2.0-pre-whatever and 8-bit displays

Petr Kulhavy brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Fri May 24 10:00:21 PDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> I'd like to congratulate the Twibright Labs folks on the graphics support
> in Links 2.0-pre. It seems to work great for me on 24-bit X displays;
> however, on the 8-bit display on this here Sun it causes massive
> colormapping. Running 'xcolor' and observing the window while links is run
> seems to show that links installs a grossly redunant color map and then
> can't even display its own default background color properly.
>
> I'm not an X hacker but I wonder why links can't display comfortably in
> the 176 colors free in my colormap after OpenStep/Solaris is up and
> running. (In fact, a good-looking dithering should be possible while
> taking only another 64 of those colors, leaving the rest for emacs.)
>
> Is it possible to correct links' colormap handling so I have a fast
> browser for my poor Sparcstation?

Links should install it's private colormap so when you focus links window
the colormap should be changed to the links one (and all other windows
should look ehm "interesting"), when you leave the links window, "normal"
X colormap is installed back.

At least links worked this way on 8-bit displays I could test.

We are using private colormap, because we need 343 color cube for
dithering.

Brain

Petr `Brain' Kulhavy
<brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Charles University Prague, Czech Republic

---
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
                -- Lazarus Long

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org