[links] Naomi Bell/Information Systems/Manitoulin is out of the office.

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Thu Sep 8 15:08:34 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 21:35, nbell at manitoulintransport.com wrote:
> I will be out of the office starting  09/06/2005 and will not return until
> 09/12/2005.

Can't people use vacation programs that work?  NO PROPERLY WRITTEN
VACATION SHOULD RESPOND TO A MAILING LIST E-MAIL. If yours does, then it
is broken and you should not use it.

If your personal userid is not in the "To:" or "CC:" header of the
message, you should not automatically reply to it - it was a message to
something that relayed to you.

There are a couple of other things you can reply to.  Arguably the
RFC821 header is the right one - it always matches when an individual
sends you mail and mailing lists always should get it right - that
address will not be where submissions should go to.

You should also check for precedence: bulk, precedence: junk, or
precedence: list. Mails with those headers should not be replied to.

Finally, a vacation program's response is an automated notification of
delivery.  You should NEVER respond to a RFC822 header address with
automatic notifications of non-delivery - you should only ever respond
to the RFC821 origin envelope address.  Some mailers expose this as the
header "Return-Path:"

This might get you unsubscribed if your mailing list manager probes you
and you respond. But if you do not respond because your id is not in
"to" or "cc" then you won't have that problem.

Blog: http://majordomo.squawk.com/njs/blog/blogger.html
Atom: http://majordomo.squawk.com/njs/blog/atom.xml
RSS: http://majordomo.squawk.com/njs/blog/atom.rdf